The East Hardy High School Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) met with Senator Joe Manchin of West Virginia on Wednesday, December 6th via Skype. FBLA has a business partnership with partnering with Mastering Mental Health. The name of the partnership project is Mask Off: Business Partnership Brings Awareness to Mental Health.
Students asked questions relating to the project goals. The questions asked were:
- Is it possible for you to have a link on your website to Mastering Mental Health where our project is being promoted?
- Why do you feel it is important to be educated about mental health?
- Do you see mental health issues the same as physical illnesses, if not why?
- What is the federal government or corporations doing to address these concerns?
- What are you doing as a Senator to promote Mental Health education?
Senator Manchin suggested that students contact the West Virginia Insurance Commissioner for information on mandatory mental health coverages. Senator Manchin agreed to provide a direct link this website which promotes the student project as well as other sites supporting mental health.
Senator Manchin emphasized his support in promoting mental health response and recovery to equate with physical health response and recovery for our country.
Mastering Mental Health is providing on-site student education as well as curriculum to educate students on many mental health concepts including: how to maintain hope, build resiliency, and develop critical thinking skills to address problems. Through this partnership we are fostering the whole community approach by connecting with local resources, business, and state and national representatives.